This is nice and short this week. Most of the news and excitement was included in the World Team Trophy post.
- 2010 Gold Medalist Evan Lysacek expects to go for another Olympic title in Sochi http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2010-gold-medalist-evan-lysacek-expects-to-go-for-another-olympic-title-in-sochi/2013/04/08/a7b76898-a07f-11e2-bd52-614156372695_story.html
I find this article hilarious! “One quad” Evan? really?? “I still think it is more important to skate cleanly,” really?? Yes you need to skate cleanly but Evan, even skating cleanly you’re not going to have the technical score to compete against a Yuzu, Patrick, Daisuke and Javi with a mistake. I think you’re going to be in for a wide awakening next season! Though I’ll still be extremely surprised if we actually see him competing next season.
2. Chan switches focus to Olympics http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130414/figure-skating-chan-switches-focus-olympics
Alright Patrick, I guess we’ll see if this is a good decision. Full time in Detroit, at least we know there are good coaches around. Also of note, sounds like he doesn’t plan on changing anything technically. Guess we just have to wait and see what happens next.
3. Asada hints at retirement after Sochi Olympics http://english.kyodonews.jp/photos/2013/04/219406.html
Are we really supposed to be surprised by this? I imagine a lot of skaters will be retiring after next season. Plus Mao has been struggling as of late. Hopefully she can have a successful Olympic year and end her career on a high.
More interesting is going to be the state of Japanese figure skating following the Olympics. Kanako has hinted at retirement and it’s assumed Akiko, who’s already in her late 20’s will be done. And now without Mao there may be no lady to carry the team. I don’t know a lot about the depth of ladies in Japan, hopefully there are some young juniors just waiting for their turn.
Olympic Season Program News and Rumors
- Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford short program
Article Excerpt: Radford is branching out of the athletic realm as well. The accompanying musical piece to their 2013-14 program will be an original composition by him. An orchestra will record it this summer, he said. “Music is a huge part of my life the same as skating is,” Radford said. “I’ve always loved to compose and wanted to write something to skate to. I haven’t had the means or the time to do it. With all of it building towards the Olympics, it’s kind of the right moment for it to happen.”
Additional Article: http://louisbabin.com/eric-radford-from-the-ice-rink-to-the-studio/
- Paige Lawrence and Rudy Swiegers are currently have Lance Vipond chorepgraph a program
“Paige Lawrence @paigehlawrence1h – Love learning new choreography! @LanceV72 #welcome2virden #nostarbucks #sorry…”
They’re hoping a new choreographer will help them make the Olympic team!
- Madison Chock and Evan Bates
@USFigureSkating – Already looking to next season, @chockolate02 @Evan_Bates tell the media they will skate to music from “Les Miserables” for their 2013-14 FD
That’s all for this week!
Read, Follow and Comment!
Love, Luck and (Evan) Lysacek