Hello everyone! The figure skating season has begun! The first junior grand prix events are in full swing.
1. Plushenko is landing 3A and 4T again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4um0tdMrQ
– FS is “Best of Plushenko”, a selection of music he has used in former programs. He names “Godfather”, “Adagio”, “Tosca”, “Tango Amore”. When I was at the training camp in Italy I also heard “Sheherazade” and “Tango de Roxanne”, but I don’t know if that was the final version of the music. I thought that this idea is actually cool, although I usually don’t like if too many music pieces are mixed together
– he is in Sochi at the training camp but not sure if he will take part in the test skate due to a minor foot problem and also because he needs to be careful with his back
– he hopes to compete at Cup of Russia (Grand Prix in Moscow), Russian Nationals, European Championships and Olympic Games
– he knows that he will have to skate the team event as well and is ready for it. But he said if he is not healthy enough to compete four programs in Sotchi he will not go to the Olympic Games as he doesn’t want to let down his team. Then a younger skater should go and compete.
Evgeni Plushenko says 1 thing can prevent a ‘top-class result’ in Sochi http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/evgeni-plushenko-figure-skating-sochi-2014-winter-olympics-russia/
“A relapse of my back injury is the only thing that can prevent me from achieving a top-class result at Sochi,” he said. Plushenko said he will perform a free skate that’s a mix of his previous programs — a best of Plushenko, if you will. It was the idea of his coach, Alexei Mishin. “We decided that it would be an original move and a spectacular finish to my career,” Plushenko said.”
− ‘Best of Plushenko’ – oh this could be entertaining.
− I’ve never been the biggest Plushenko fan but you have to give the guy credit. He is talented and determined. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens in Sochi (I still want a Chan-Yuzu-Javi podium :-))
2. Korpi to train with Arutunian in Lake Arrowhead http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/23/58045574
“I felt I was, as an athlete, at a point where I needed a radical change to advance one more step further,” Korpi said in a press release. “I also wanted to get ‘sparring help’ from the world’s best skaters.”
3. ISU Communication 1817 – Delayed Start or Restart
Points of interest
– When a Competitor/s interrupts his/their program as per new Rule 551 respectively 638, paragraph 3.b) at the entrance to or during an element, the point of restart communicated by the Referee is the point immediately following this element.
– the situation when the Competitor cannot remedy to the situation in a short time and requests a break of up to 3 minutes to the Referee, remains but a penalization of 5 points is introduced by the Referee.
This has been called the Virtue/Moir rule, after they stopped in the middle of their free dance at Four Continents last season. Especially as many believed they weren’t actually injured and just stopped for a break. Goodness people can be mean when they’re on one particular side of a rivalry.
4. China’s figure skating couple have baby daughter http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2013-09/03/content_16941445.htm
Congratulations on the birth of their daughter.
5. Skate Canada High Performance Camp happened this past weekend. Here’s a couple articles, photos and tweets
A summer spent on rink in Detroit for Chan http://metronews.ca/sports/786622/a-summer-spent-on-rink-in-detroit-for-chan/
– He’s loving his new home. “It’s great to have that kind of environment that I haven’t been in the past two years,” Chan said. “I was really glad I was able to find Detroit right before worlds, and I’m really lucky it turned out the way it did.”
– “This isn’t the year to do that. That was the strategy as well, not to try anything new and brash, because there’s no need for it,” Chan said. “The two quads are solid, they weren’t solid last year honestly. Even though I landed it almost every competition, I didn’t feel confident about it. I didn’t know going into it that I could land it. This year I’m starting to feel that a little more.” While he wouldn’t need them for marks, he said he may add a second triple Axel “just for kicks,” or a quad Salchow “as a party trick.”
– Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir had their own camera crew following them around, filming for a six-part reality series on Canada’s Olympic ice dance champions that will air on the W Network in January. “It’s a fly-on-the-wall type series,” Moir said. “People are going to really see what we go through day to day. So much is (usually) just seeing us in makeup and sparkles. So you’ll see me when my hair doesn’t look this pretty, right?”
Team Canada photo! https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/375695561896513536/photo/1
All in a Skating Day’s Work (highlights of PJ Kwong’s tweets) http://storify.com/skatingpj/all-in-a-skating-day-s-work
Skating Stars on Ice at Hershey Centre (included dozen of on-ice photos) http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4066663-skating-stars-on-ice-at-hershey-centre/
Eric Radford’s tweet on Scott and Tessa’s FD https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/376013046411317248
PJ Kwong’s Scott and Tessa vine ☺ https://vine.co/v/hJ2O0xweXUx
Olympic Program Music News and Rumours
Most skaters have now announced their music! The season is almost upon us!
1. Evan Lysacek – scrapping his Samson and Delilah FS for Don Quixote
2. Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam – SD: Music from the musical ‘Crazy for You’ by George and Ira Gershwin (apparently it will be a foxtrot and quickstep combo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHrFH4sZFk and FD: Music from the “W.E.” soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfr8CJUM0_Q
3. Nobunari Oda – FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq6G4VhwpoQ
4. Tomas Verner – Short Program – “Dueling Banjos” (from The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ‘Deliverance’). Long Program – “Tango Medley”: Oblivion, Adios Nonino, Libertango (all three by Astor Piazolla) and La Cumparsita (by Matos Rodriguez).
5. Jeremy Abbott – will skate his short to Lilies of the Valley by Jun Miyake. This music was used in the movie Pina http://twitpic.com/d9m6kh
6. Denis Ten – short to Saint-Saens’ “Danse Macabre” and free to Shostakovich’s “Lady and the Hooligan,” both choreographed by Lori Nichol – http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/23/58052748
7. Yu-Na Kim – SP: Send in the clowns, FS: Adios Nonino
8. Evgeni Plushenko – FS will be “Best of Plushenko”, set to different music pieces he skated to in the past such as “Godfather”, “Adagio”, “Tosca”, “Tango Amore”. The SP is “The Girl Like You” by Okean Elzy as announced earlier. http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11164.html
9. Misha Ge – SP from Asian Open http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V5SkJlYnY0 About this Program : “This Program is very “Special” to me and to skate it. When i was 4 years old it is first song that i start move and skate artistically to music (that when my parents and my grandfather see my artistic sides in first time) Adagio in G Minor is also one of most deepest song from all classical musics. It shows drama, passion, pain, love, heart-touching, and many things that we feel inside our hearts. I wanted to skate this music for few years, and i think now its a time to skate it.
10. Javier Fernandez – SP: “Satan takes a holiday” LP: Peter Gunn + Harlem Nocturne Inspired by blues and jazz rhythms, choreographed by Kurt Browning
11. Meryl Davis and Charlie White – SD selections from Lerner and Loewe’s My Fair Lady, including “I Could Have Danced All Night,” “With a Little Bit of Luck” and “Get Me to the Church on Time.” FD Nikoli Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade
12. Vera Bazarova & Yuri Larionov – SP – medley of popular American melodies from 20th (the program is called “The old photo” and the idea is that people from the photo come to life) LP – “Polovtsian Dances” from Borodin’s “Prince Igor”
13. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy – SP: When Winter Comes, a music especially composed for them by Andre Rieu. LP: The Nutcracker
14. Alena Leonova – SP: Mr and Mrs Smith tango, LP: Carmen
15. Ana Cappellini and Luca Lanotte – FD: The Barber of Seville
Thanks for reading!