There hasn’t been a lot of news in the past couple weeks. This post is just basic skater news. My next post will be a look at recent summer competitions, program debuts and just released international assignments. It’ll be a good look at Canadians at this point of the summer!
- Edmonton’s Kaetlyn Osmond fine tunes new programs from upcoming figure skating season http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Edmonton+Kaetlyn+Osmond+fine+tunes+programs+upcoming+figure/8728231/story.html?rel=1662628
Excluding the triple Axel, the only triple jump not in Osmond’s arsenal is the triple loop. Walia said Osmond is landing the jump in practice, but it’s not consistent. There is a spot for it in the long program.
“It’s the fourth jump in the program,” Walia said. “Each week we want to get closer to our goal … it’s looking really promising for the season.”
- Michelle Kwan to cover Olympics for Fox http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2013/08/05/michelle-kwan-to-cover-olympics-for-fox
Kwan has been hired by Fox Sports to cover the Winter Olympics in Sochi. The nine-time U.S. and five-time world champion figure skater will cover a variety of sports for Fox, which is launching its cable sports channel, Fox Sports 1, this month.
- Tessa and Scott Sizzling Style On and Off the Ice http://www.todaysbride.ca/articles/tessa-and-scott-sizzling-style-on-and-off-the-ice
gorgeous pictures of Scott and Tessa from Today’s Bride magazine.
The season is quickly approaching. Programs are starting to appear at shows and summer competitions!
- Jeremy Ten – SP: “Dance With Me Wallis” from the W.E Soundtrack by Abel Korziniowski FS: “Variations” by Andrew Lloyd Webber (via this interview: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/07/interview-with-jeremy-ten.html)
- Jeremy Abbott – SP Music: “Let Yourself Go” by Irving Berlin – choreographed by Robin Cousins FS Music: “Exogenesis Symphony Part III (Redemption)” by Muse
- Mirai Nagasu – SP Music: “The Man I Love” by George Gershwin FS Music: Music from James Bond by various artists (performed at a summer competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwD1P6Dt5k)
- Max Aaron – SP Music: “Historia de un Amor” by Perez Prado FS Music: Music from Carmen performed by Rodion Shchedrin and the Boston Pops Orchestra Choreographers: Pasquale Camerlengo (SP), Lori Nichol (FS)
- Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy – SP: “When Winter Comes” by Andre Rieu
- Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov – FS: Jesus Christ Superstar
- Mao Asada – SP: Nocturne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUOQfEOeAE performed at The Ice 2013
- Carolina Kostner – SP: “Humoresque” by A. Dvorak FS: “Scheherazade” by N.Rimsky-Korsakov
- Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir – via this article: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130805&content_id=55949358&vkey=ice_news
SD: The program features selections from Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, kicking off with “Dream a Little Dream.”
“The second part is ‘Muskrat Ramble,’ which has a jazzy sound,” Moir said. “The third piece is the well-known ‘Dancing Cheek to Cheek.’ We worked with (French-Canadian ballroom dance champion) Jean-Marc Généreux, who we first met 10 years ago.”
FD:“The free dance was a longer process [than the short dance] because the music was specially arranged for us,” Moir said. “We’re using music from Glazunov’s ballet Seasons and Scriabin’s ‘Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor.'”
“We do not know yet what we will do for the season after the Olympics,” she said. “We take it year by year.
“Our main goal is certainly the Olympics,” Virtue continued. “It’s our second Games now, and we know what to expect. But we certainly feel more pressure because we are the defending champions.”
That’s all for this post!
Please read, comment and follow.