Here’s what’s new in the figure skating world.
- ISU Championships 2015 and 2016 Provisional Allotments: Boston gets 2016 Worlds!
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships – Hamilton/Canada April 10-11, 2015
ISU European Figure Skating Championships – Bratislava/Slovak Republic (January 25-31, 2016)
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships – Taipei City/Chinese Taipei (February 9-14, 2016)
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships – Debrecen/Hungary (March 14-20, 2016)
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships – Pending (April 8-9, 2016)
ISU World Figure Skating Championships – Boston/USA (March 28- April 3, 2016)
Europeans in Bratislava! Cause I need a reason to revisit Bratislava!
- No Olympics for Adrian Schultheiss http://adrianschultheiss.com/news/12_13/june/20.html
Adrian announced that he has had to give up on his plans for the Sochi Olympics due to back problems
“To all of those who have been supporting me and appreciated my style and what I have accomplished, I want to say thank you to them. They have made me stronger as a person and it has been appreciated to have people supporting like that, cheering me up in bad times and congratulating me in good times! They would put a smile on my face. Thank you! Adrian Schultheiss”
- Posted on FSU, Paul Poirier has broken his ankle. Supposedly PJ Kwong posted it on her twitter on June 16, but it was taken down shortly after.
If it’s true, it’s rather disappointing for the team. I wish him a speedy recovery!
- Marina Anissina to return??? http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Figurnoe_katanie/dance/spbnews_NI385840_Anisina-i-Peyzera-vozvraschayutsya-v-sport (in Russian, translated below)
Olympic champion in Salt Lake City in ice dancing Russian-born French figure skater Marina Anissina announced her imminent return to the sport. She plans to speak with longtime partner Gwendal Peizerat. Recall that the couple announced their retirement shortly after winning the 2002 Games gold and triumph at the European Championships that year. Since then, the athletes performed in various shows. In 2009 Anisina birth to a son, and a year later – the daughter. Now the 37-year-old figure skater begins to work on a set of competitive programs.
Comments (translated via FSU):
Morozov: the statement is shocking. I don’t even know how to comment that. However, I am certain this comeback is impossible
Zhulin: Guess I should come back as well then. I’ll start practicing immediately. On a more serious note it’s a nonsense and as much as I like Marina I’m quite sure she will not come back. Hypothetically? I can’t even imagine where she would be placed. Very low! The comeback is a bad idea, we should remember Marina as she was.
Averbukh: I can only call it an idiotic PR that someone not too smart came up with. It’s a joke and it’s a shame Marina Anisina allows her name to be trashed going so low, anyone in their right mind will tell such a comeback is impossible. The only reason for the announcement is to make us talk about it, but I think it’s a bad usage trying to gain something of it. It’s nonsense -figure skating, and ice dance in particular made a long way since. France has a very good pair. Olympics 2002 were 11 years ago, this decision is silly. I’m quite sure they will not go on the ice.
Ummm…what???? I still don’t think Lysacek will return, let alone this!
- Sochi Olympics will test gay rights http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/02/06/russia-gay-rights-sochi-olympics/1897021/
The bill, which is expected to pass, would outlaw “homosexual propaganda” making public events that promote gay rights and public displays of affection by same-sex couples illegal. St. Petersburg and a number of other Russian cities already have similar laws.
“I love Russia and there is nothing that will change that,” Weir said. “I’m a true patriot and spokesperson for their country. It’s appalling they can censor their public, but I try to do everything I can. I have been in talks with different LBGT organizations in Russia with how I can help.”
Honestly can’t believe this is happening in Russia…happy Johnny is speaking up about it.
- ISU Minimum Scores for Championships and Olympics http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1336
Of note, the minimum scores for the Olympics are lower than for Worlds. Two thoughts on this, it’s good for lesser ranked skaters who qualified to get the chance to go. But also, it’s disappointing for those lesser ranked skaters who could have skated at the Olympics but didn’t make the minimum score for 2013 Worlds and therefore didn’t qualify their country a spot.
Also, scores for ISU Championships are similar to last year. Some have been raised to closer to the initial minimum score, before they were lowered.
Olympics Programs News and Rumours
- Rumour: Meryl Davis and Charlie White freedance is Sheherazade. Many people think this is a great choice and many think this is very predictable as they’ve skated almost this exact program before (see every other free dance) Choreography with Derek Hough http://instagram.com/p/atXLkftoqW/
- Denis Ten and Carolina Kostner are currently in Toronto getting programs http://instagram.com/p/awsIMfu41Q/#
- Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have spent some time in Montreal with Jean-Marc Généreux, French Canadian ballroom dance champion and choreographer. http://pic.twitter.com/8ooQZSoPUH
- Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam (announcement via Facebook) SD: Music from the musical ‘Crazy for You’ by George and Ira Gershwin. FD: Music from the “W.E.” soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski
- Yuzuru Hanyu!! According to David Wilson, Hanyu is going to skate to ‘passionate and romantic’ music from a movie soundtrack, for his free skate. He’s going to skate it for the first time next week at Dreams on Ice in Japan. (I will post as soon as I see it :-)).
Radio Interview: Yuzu and Shizuka Arakawa
Shizuka: What kind of programs have you prepared?
Yuzu: Well, It’s still a secret
Shizuka: It’s still a secret?! You made them already?
Yuzu: We haven’t worked on the short. We didn’t have the time, so we haven’t made it, but the free is already done
Shizuka: When are you going to present the first demonstration to us?
Yuzu: For the time being, I plan to reveal the program in June. But firstly, I have to make sure to bring it to perfection before then
Shizuka: What do you think we need to pay attention to?
Yuzu: Well, it’s a program overflowing with storyline. It’s one of the aspects I’d like you to pay attention to carefully. Also, the music is one I can easily get into, emotionally. This time, the theme is already decided. Since it’s emotionally-involving, I’d be more than happy if you can take a good look at it.
Shizuka: Really, since free program will be the last showdown, you need to fight it out
Yuzu: Well, yes
Shizuka: It’s really important. So, it’s a good thing to start skating to it from its early stage of development while getting ready for the Olympics.
Yuzu: Yes, I will do my best.
Goodness me I love him!
That’s all for today!
Thanks for reading, please follow and comment!