I wish I could have posted during the past week, but with all joy and heartbreak of Worlds there just wasn’t time. But now that it’s over and now that I’m officially leaving Boston it’s time for me to reflect on the week that was. In the past I often cry when I leave an event, but I haven’t done that yet. I’ve definitely cried, but not because it’s over. Which makes me wonder if I’ll be able to make it through these posts tear free.
I have a few wrap up posts planned. To no ones surprise I’m going to talk about Yuzu. But I’m going to save that one for later. It’s still too soon and I’m not ready to relive that heartbreak quite yet. Today I’m going to discuss the positives, here’s my:
Top 10 Performances from the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships
10. The American Men – Coming in to Boston I thought the Americans might be ovesrcored. Instead the American athletes on a number of occasions used the energy in the building to their advantage and skated to the best of their abilities. The American men in particular rose to the challenge brilliantly. It was very exciting to see them all skate so well in front of a home crowd.
9. Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier SD – I didn’t think the skating world was a fan of this SD. That is until they revamped it and suddenly the audience and the judges loved it more than at any other event this season. It was amazing to see this pair skate so well and it was amazing to see them rewarded in the SD for all their hard work.
8. Wenjing Sui & Cong Han SP – I knew this pair was good. I knew they had won some things this year but I can’t really remember actually watching them skate. I was blown away in the SP. They deserved every one of those 80 points. These two are still so young, I think they have a very bright future ahead of them.
7. Gabby Daleman SP – Gabby came out for her SP with so much energy and determination. It was excellent to see from a Canadian lady. She was solid throughout and while she still has some work to do to close the gap on the next group of skaters, she’s made tremendous improvements this season.
6. Maia & Alex Shibutani’s FD – This is one of the best programs of the year by far. I loved this FD when I first saw it at Skate Canada and I’m thrilled they skated it the best they could here in front of a home crowd.
5. Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron FD – The only word I want to use to describe this program is gorgeous. It was intimate and intricate while being athletic and powerful. Such an excellent FD that was skated to its full potential here.
4. Evgenia Medvedeva FS – I have been a fan of Evgenia all season but it wasn’t until I saw her live that I fully fell in love. Her FS was simple technical brilliance. Everything she did was solid and secure. Plus the program was perfect for her. It was cute and complex and fabulous for her age and her ability. Plus that girl appears to be the cutest, most adorable 16 year old out there. I like to think of her as a breath of fresh air.
3. Javier Fernandez FS – I was crying after Javi’s first jump, and unfortunately for Javi it was not because of him. I 100% would have enjoyed this program more under different circumstances but that doesn’t take away from it’s brilliance. I’m very happy Javi was able to skate this program at the level we know he can. He was finally able to put up those monster scores. I will always prefer Yuzu’s style of skating over Javi’s but this program is a delight and possibly the best one Javi’s had.
2. Yuzuru Hanyu SP – Finally. Finally I got to see this clean. Finally got to see this live skated to its potential. It was everything I wanted. I have loved this program since the first time we saw it and was thrilled when he kept it another season. The footwork sequence brought tears to my eyes. It was a perfect moment.
1. Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford FS – I have never watched a program and burst into tears from joy a minute and a half in – until this program happened. There’s just something about Meagan that makes me so emotional. As soon as they landed their 3T’s I was crying. And when the throw 3Lz was landed I was ready to jump to my feet. I was sobbing in the audience the entire time and I couldn’t have cared less. This program was everything I needed after the heartbreak the day before. I’m so happy for Meagan & Eric after the difficulties they’ve had this season.
There were a number of other performances that easily could have made this list. Who made your top 10 list? Let me know in the comments.
Till next time,
– Justine Alyssa